When preparing for the birth of your baby, there are many things you need to anticipate and get ready for. One factor that you can’t control is your baby coming earlier than expected, and that’s okay! No matter when you give birth, breastfeeding will be a learning experience. Here is what you need to know when pumping for a preemie:
- Milk produced by mothers of premature babies is different for the first several weeks since they have different needs than full-term babies.
- This milk contains a higher number of proteins, minerals, and large concentrations of antibodies to help your baby fight infection.
- Breast milk is easier for your preemie to digest than formula, many healthcare professionals consider it “liquid gold” for preemies.
- Mothers of premature babies should start to pump as soon as possible after giving birth to start establishing their supply.
- An electric hospital-grade breast pump is essential to allow for easy pumping; browse our wide selection at the Breastfeeding Shop here.
- Skin-to-skin with your baby is super important to your milk supply, but other benefits include stabilization of breathing, mother-infant bonding, a lower risk of maternal development of postpartum depression, maintenance of babies’ body temperatures, and improved developmental outcomes.
- While your baby is in the NICU, pump by their bedside, or if you are away from them, look at photos or videos while you pump.
- Portable pumping options are super helpful for premature mothers, check out the variety of options we have available here.
- Keep your baby’s nurses and NICU lactation consultants in the loop if you are experiencing any issues.
- NICU breastfeeding support groups are very helpful as well as virtual breastfeeding support from trained professionals such as our consultants available to assist you with your needs especially when you leave the hospital.
Welcoming a premature baby into the world can be scary, but at The Breastfeeding Shop, we want mothers to feel prepared for anything! Breastfeeding can look different for everyone, but adapting and learning along the way is the most important method for mothers of premature babies to help their babies thrive.
For more information regarding pump options or other resources for breastfeeding a premature baby, reach out to our representatives who are trained to assist you with your custom needs.
11 thoughts on “How to Pump for a Preemie”
Reading your article helped me a lot and I agree with you. But I still have some doubts, can you clarify for me? I’ll keep an eye out for your answers.
When I originally commented I clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get four emails with the same comment. Is there any way you can remove me from that service? Thanks!
I am an investor of gate io, I have consulted a lot of information, I hope to upgrade my investment strategy with a new model. Your article creation ideas have given me a lot of inspiration, but I still have some doubts. I wonder if you can help me? Thanks.
At the beginning, I was still puzzled. Since I read your article, I have been very impressed. It has provided a lot of innovative ideas for my thesis related to gate.io. Thank u. But I still have some doubts, can you help me? Thanks.
Pingback: weed delivery Toronto
Thank you for your sharing. I am worried that I lack creative ideas. It is your article that makes me full of hope. Thank you. But, I have a question, can you help me?
I am a website designer. Recently, I am designing a website template about gate.io. The boss’s requirements are very strange, which makes me very difficult. I have consulted many websites, and later I discovered your blog, which is the style I hope to need. thank you very much. Would you allow me to use your blog style as a reference? thank you!
I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post…
When I originally commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get three e-mails with the same comment. Is there any way you can remove people from that service? Cheers!
Excellent read, I just passed this onto a colleague who was doing some research on that. And he just bought me lunch because I found it for him smile Thus let me rephrase that: Thanks for lunch!
You completed some fine points there. I did a search on the theme and found most folks will agree with your blog.