Getting Ready For The Big Day!
What to pack for the Hospital or Birthing Center
If you’re not sure what to pack for delivery, read through our baby delivery checklist. When the time arrives you’ll want to be prepared. Having all your creature comforts ready is only the beginning of what you’ll need to pack for your child’s birth, stay at the hospital/Birthing Center and bringing baby home. It’s a good idea to create a list and pack it all up by your 8th month of pregnancy.
What to pack for delivery and labor:
- Your birth plan (if you have one)
- ID and insurance cards
- Nightgown: although the hospital provides gowns and socks. You may want to wear your own.
- Choose a short sleeve nightgown with a comfortable, loose fabric. Don’t forget those socks or slippers!
- Hard Candy
- A book or magazines (If you are being induced, this is great to have for the long wait to get things going!)
- Chapstick or lip balm
- Hair ties or clips: If you have long hair you may feel better with your hair away and off your face.
What to pack for after the delivery:
- A fresh nightgown or PJ’s
- Toiletries: toothbrush, toothpaste, hair brush, face wash, shampoo (Bring whatever items you use in your daily routine.)
- Nursing bras: Your breasts will be tender and swollen when you milk begins to come in, which can occur any time after the birth of your baby.
- Maternity Underwear: The hospital will provide pads, but make sure you have plenty heavy duty pads waiting for you back home.
- A notepad or journal: Writing down your experience and your feelings after birth can make a wonderful keepsake.
- An outfit t to wear when you leave the hospital or birthing center: Bring an outfit that is comfortable and has plenty of room. Don’t forget sneakers or comfy shoes!
- Makeup: Just the basics if wear it daily.
- Nipple Cream: Nipples can get chapped when nursing. Cream can ease the discomfort.
- Baby Book: While all the details are fresh in your mind, it’s great to have the book on hand to note those special moments of your baby’s birth.
What to pack for baby:
- Car Seat: You’ll want your new little one to come home safely. It may be a good idea to install it prior to giving birth.
- It’s all about the going home outfit: You’ll want your baby to come home in style! Don’t forget booties a soft cap.
- Blanket: a soft receiving blanket to swaddle your newborn and to cover your baby for the ride home. Pack several of these blankets.
What to leave at home:
- Diapers: The hospital will provide these for the entirety of your stay.
- Medications: Speak with your doctor ahead of time regarding what you’ll need during your stay. If you do take medications daily, the hospital will provide this service.
Now you know what to pack for delivery. And being prepared will help will alleviate some of the stress while making that dash to your birth place. The hospital has almost everything you will need in case you forget to pack something, but it’s always nice to have your own things. Prior to having your baby get your doctor to write you a script for a breast pump and order the pump prior to your baby arriving.